Sunday, June 24, 2007

The Spoiler That Wasn't

One of the big holes in my science-fiction reading is Robert Heinlein. I don't know why; somehow I just never got around to reading him. So I'm trying to make up for lost time.

This week's Heinlein book was The Door Into Summer, an intriguing tale of cats, cryogenic freezing, time travel, and business fraud. I picked it because I love time travel; I'm a total sucker for almost any time travel story.

"The Spoiler That Wasn't" is the cover- which shows a cat, a female, a cryogenic freezer and a bush. Halfway through the book, I looked back at the cover and realized that it had just spoiled the entire plot for me. Grrrrrrr!

... And then I got to the end of the book, and discovered that it hadn't. That the cover, in fact, had no direct relation to the plot at all; it simply pictured several elements in the novel.

(The female, cat, and cryogenic chamber, that is. I have no clue why the bush is there.)

Something similar happened to me when I went to see The Sixth Sense. Someone on an online message board commented that the surprise ending was that the kid's mom had murdered his dad- and that's what prompted his uncanny connection with the dead.

I was really annoyed that the ending had been spoiled for me, went in, watched it- and was taken completely by surprise when the real ending hit. The guy on the message board had been joking, and his spoiler was actually an anti-spoiler: if I hadn't thought that I knew the ending, I would have been trying to figure it out, and I might have succeeded.

No comments: