Monday, July 30, 2007

A Real-Life Update

"Update" may not be right word, though, since I haven't done any real-life details here yet.

Short version: I'm in the Navy. In about a month, my ship is going to have an INSURV inspection. This is an extremely important five-year inspection that determines whether the ship is seaworthy or not. Inspectors come aboard and spend days examining just about everything. (And everyone.)

So everyone here has gone a bit insane. We're running around trying to correct flaws in the ship, major and minor; and going over our maintenance routines, which are a critical part of INSURV and which have to be done with nitpicking exactness.

(There are always flaws on a ship. There's never enough time to get everything fixed perfectly; it's like running a household with a large family. Most of the time, it's sufficient to fix major flaws, and guesstimate what's about to wear out next. Most of the time, when we're not looking down the gunbarrel of INSURV.)

My part in this controlled chaos is normally to be an Electonics Technician for one of our radars. It's a good job, and it's not hard. But for the duration of our crisis, I've been reassigned to a new and dramatic mission:

The Watertight Door Team!


Ships are divided into watertight sections; the idea is that even if one section develops a leak, we can just close it off. All the other sections can carry it, and so the ship will stay afloat.

The system depends on a whole bunch of doors being thoroughly watertight; and my new duties are to go from door to door, checking each one, and fixing any faults that show up. (There are a lot.)

I may not blog that much for the next month, even by my undemanding average. This is keeping us really busy; and, alas, it's really cutting into both my internet time and my reading schedule.

No comments: