Saturday, September 29, 2007

A Top Ten Resolution

I pretty much review books as I finish reading them. Which is natural: that's when they're fresh in my mind, after all, and inspiration is most likely to strike.

But this leaves out pretty much all of my favorite books. And, in between book-finishings, it leaves me a little dry of blog topics.

So it occurred to me yesterday, as I was sitting here trying to think of something to post about, that I could make up a list of bloggable books; something halfway between a promise and a self-reminder, so that I wouldn't be at a loss for topics in the future.

Here we go (Warning! The following list is off the top of my head, and probably forgets a few items that will make me slap my forehead later.)

The Closing of the American Mind, Allan Bloom
Shakespeare: Invention of the Human, Harold Bloom
Young Miles, Lois McMaster Bujold
The Everlasting Man, G.K. Chesterton
Permutation City, Greg Egan
The Final Reflection, John M. Ford
Modern Times, Paul Johnson
Mere Christianity, C.S. Lewis
Cryptonomicon, Neil Stephenson
Distraction, Bruce Sterling

Some of these made a major impact on my life; some of them changed my thinking; some of them were just really fun to read. Hopefully I'll have something interesting to say about them.

(Heck, hopefully I'll get around to blogging more! Hope hope hope...)

No comments: