Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Did I Know, Did I? No.

Yet another youtube link! This one is to a presentation called "Do You Know," full of statistics about the accelerating pace of things. It's pretty interesting.

But- perhaps it's a sign that I'm getting old- it does not inspire me with a sense of wonder so much as a sense of dread. A sense that "This cannot last."

"We are living in exponential times," it says: and that is true enough. But there are several exponential curves in human experience; none of them last forever, and most of them end in crashes. To cite the most obvious example, we're in the middle of an economic crash following what seemed like endless exponential growth.

It cites examples of the massive increase in information flow, which is undeniably impressive; but past a point, you have to wonder what is the point? We're already at the stage where information filtering is a big deal; an exponential information increase won't help that at all. It'll simply be wasted, for the most part.

Oh, well. Like I said, I'm probably just getting old. Or maybe it's the atmosphere of the times, which is so much more pessimistic than it was a few months ago.

No comments: