Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Jeremiah 5

I've been meaning to do Bible excerpts since... well, since I started this blog, actually. Somehow I never got around to it. But better late than never, and Jeremiah is very fitting for our present circumstances.

All quotations are from the excellent Bible Gateway website.

----------------------------
Jeremiah 5: 26-31:

...For among My people are found wicked men;
They lie in wait as one who sets snares;
They set a trap;
They catch men.
As a cage is full of birds,
So their houses are full of deceit.
Therefore they have become great and grown rich.
They have grown fat, they are sleek;
Yes, they surpass the deeds of the wicked;
They do not plead the cause,
The cause of the fatherless;
Yet they prosper,
And the right of the needy they do not defend.
Shall I not punish them for these things?’ says the LORD.

‘ Shall I not avenge Myself on such a nation as this?’
“ An astonishing and horrible thing
Has been committed in the land:
The prophets prophesy falsely,
And the priests rule by their own power;
And My people love to have it so.
But what will you do in the end?

No comments: