Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Salome's Dancing Lesson

I can't believe I haven't done any Dorothy Parker yet. Well, better late than never:

Salome's Dancing-Lesson

She that begs a little boon
(Heel and toe! Heel and toe!)
Little gets- and nothing, soon.
(No, no, no! No, no, no!)
She that calls for costly things
Priceless finds her offerings-
What's impossible to kings?
(Heel and toe! Heel and toe!)

Kings are shaped as other men.
(Step and turn! Step and turn!)
Ask what none may ask again.
(Will you learn? Will you learn?)
Lovers whine, and kisses pall,
Jewels tarnish, kingdoms fall-
Death's the rarest prize of all!
(Step and turn! Step and turn!)

Veils are woven to be dropped.
(One, two, three! One, two, three!)
Aging eyes are slowest stopped.
(Quietly! Quietly!)
She whose body's young and cool
Has no need of dancing-school-
Scratch a king and find a fool!
(One, two, three! One, two, three!)

... A Dorothy Parker Bible study would be either horrifying or brilliant. I can't quite decide which.

2 comments:

gt281 said...

Hello Fenris,
Thanks for the nice comment on my blog “GUARDIANS”.
No truer words could I think of.
I assume your ‘in’ the navy
not just working for it as electronics tech, which is great as far as I’m concerned, if your helping my ‘Guardians’ that’s great too.
Don’t say anything that’s against navy e-gram policy, never know
I might be an evil jahadie….I know a little, a little about military life,
I was an army brat for eighteen years, but that was a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. So I’m always appreciative of the armed forces, which ever branch (go army, sis-bom-bam). Dad tried to go for twenty but the docs said he had health problems so he only got 18,bunch of dog poo, they just didn’t want him to get 20 and all the benefits. As an outsider looking in, I think that the DOD is taking much better care of everyone these days, but you’d know better than I…
Almost went in myself when I was about 18 or so, but NAM was
rolling along and the generals didn’t seem to care how many brave ones they threw into the meat grinder, better now I hope, plus I’d lived under dads rules and I don’t think I could of taken any more rules, a hippie then, I guess…
Your comment about my being a ‘writer’, naggh, I’m just a hack that puts rhyming words together, strung out on too much coffee and not enough sleep, that’s all, but nice comment tho…..You hurt me to the quick when you said I write ‘poems’, I write rhyming verses, ‘poems’ is a term too limp wristed for me…lets just call them sentences that sometimes rhyme badly.. lol….
Another story of Sigmarr tomorrow, multi-part, hope you like it…
It has…..oh, better not say anything and give away the story…you’ll just have to make some popcorn and read it yourself….
So tell me Fenris…when will you be at Ragnarok, swallow the sun, and kill Odin?...can I get tickets?....two in the front row please….
..as always keep your head down and be safe…..
………bob

Fenris said...

Hey, Bob!

Yeah, I'm in the Navy (reenlistment's coming up soon, in fact) and I like it a lot. From everything I've heard, it's a lot better now than it was in the Vietnam period; you're very right.

And yes, you're a writer! You're someone who writes, which is what it comes down to.

I look forward to tomorrow's Sigmarr!